Total Pageviews

Monday, January 3, 2011

Broadway records

I read somewhere this morning that The Lion King had just overtaken Beauty and the Beast to become Broadways 7th longest running show. This inspired me to have a look at what the longest running shows are and a couple surprised me.
Number one is Phantom of the Opera beating Cats by over 2000 performances Number three is Les Mis and then A Chorus line and then Number 5 surprised me. It was Oh Calcutta.a revival that ran from 1976 to 1989, nearly thirteen years.
then comes Chicago, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Rent and Miss Saigon rounds out the top ten.
Only three of the productions are still performing and they are Phantom, Lion King and Chicago.
Mamma mia comes in at 11th and is slowly closing in on the tenth spot being only 305 performances behind Miss Saigon.
I know for some this is probably totally useless information but hey Im a theatre Geek and found it very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment