Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Stop the Bullying

Once Upon a time there was a quite gay boy growing up in suburban New Zealand.  He loved theatre, movies, the arts and boys.  His life at a single sex high school consisted of being beaten up on the way to school most days, he always looked forward to rainy days as the boys that beat him up didn’t like getting wet. At lunch time and intervals one of his so called friends would beat him up if he didn’t go and stand in line at the tuck shop for him. If a teacher wasn’t present in class he was tortured and humiliated by the other boys. His history teacher refused to give him the text books he needed because he said ‘ girls didn’t get books at boys High’. Then there was the after school job  which was pretty good and harassment free. However, Fear gripped him every night as he  walked home from said job as one particular boy every night would spit on him and verbally abuse him. How this young man survived is amazing, but I did. This young man was me and I survived the bullying. I am joining Ellen in her fight against bullying. If my story affects just one person then I’m glad I told it. I was lucky. That was many years ago, in today’s society it is becoming increasingly dangerous to be different. Please embrace everyone’s differences as it is our differences that make this world a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment